Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Donald Glover: Actor or Rapper?

If you've ever watched the comedic TV show Community or Comedy Central stand-ups, then you probably know who Donald Glover is...the Black guy. Residing in New York, by way of Atlanta, he is a comedian who also writes and raps. He is also 1/5 of the people behind Derrick Comedy (derrickcomedy.com). If you have, or even haven't, heard of them, something any fan of Comedy should check out is a movie called Mystery Team by Derrick Comedy. This is starring Donald Glover and three others from Derrick Comedy; all I can say is: HILARIOUS. And if that wasn't enough credit to prove that he knows his jokes, he also write for the show 30Rock. But what few people may know is that he not only raps, but he is damn good at it. He goes by the name of Childish Gambino as a rap artist. I honestly recently started listening to him, I heard that he rapped, but didn't think it would be serious so I brushed him off. Searching for some new music the other day, I came across a song he did over Kanye West's All of The Lights beat called Break, so I gave it a listen.....it was great. I'm not exactly sure yet, but I think he is also singing on the track, and he can do that as well. After really feelin' that track, I saw that someone released an unofficial mixtape by the name of I Do Not Talk. I ususally pass right over unofficial mixtapes, but it's a compilation of 20 songs from his old albums and mixtapes, so I figured what better way to listen to his music. There isn't much I can say to describe it besides different, good and funny [lyrics]. The beats are amazing. They are all different and incorporate different sounds, but nonetheless, very hot. I started from track one and just "vibed" through the whole thing. Although I will admit, towards the end the tracks started lacking what it had going in the beginning. I Do Not Talk is definitely a great listen to get into his music, I highly recommend it if you're looking to add a new artist to your music library. Click the links below to listen and/or download his new song Break and the mixtape I Do Not Talk. Enjoy!

Break (AOTL) -Childish Gambino

I Do Not Talk - Childish Gambino

No comments:

Post a Comment