Friday, July 12, 2013

Potential Prospects: Prob

25below's first potential prospect is a young cat by the name of Angel Parrilla, who hails from Miami, Florida. Picking up the stage name "Prob" along the way, he's had his hands immersed in music since the young age of 9. To give you a better perspective, "That was 12 years ago...I wouldn't say I was consistently working on music since then but I've never stopped writing. Sometimes I'd go into a music making period for years a a time, stop, and repeat it again."
Prob, the multi-talented man, not only writes his own raps, he records and mixes his own songs as well as record and edit his own videos. Although at the time of our first interview he was only hoping to get into producing, he has since then acquired a professional music production tool and has already taken to sampling quite nicely. Now if I need to give you anymore reason to respect this emerging artist, besides the love for what he does, he tries to do what he can on his own as to decrease distractions and being slowed down by the less ambitious.
It's hard to respect a lot of artists these days because, as we all know, it's about the money, fame and groupies. Where's the true passion at these days? Who's doing this because it's simply what they love to do? Even though there are many, they are few and far between. When asking Prob why he makes music, I couldn't have found a better answer: "Actually...I ask myself this question all the time. Sometimes I can't even come up with a logical answer. I believe I make music and will continue to make music for the love of it. It's my way of expressing myself. Some people express themselves through drawing, painting, fashion design, tattooing, just endless ways of expressing yourself through art. My art form just happened to be music. I can't front, it's difficult to dedicate yourself to music these days because hip-hop is sooo "over-saturated", for lack of a better word. When it comes to things like planning on making it "big", I try not to focus on those type of things. It will drive you crazy."
When it comes down to what influences he has when it comes to writing his music, it is a simple yet complex answer: "everything in life". From personal situations to the situations of close ones around him, good or bad, Prob stays aware enough to properly re-tell it. Here's what he had to say, "While I'm out in the world I'm never on autopilot, I try to stay as conscious as I can and take in everything around me. I think there's stories and events going on around us all day, everyday, so I try to soak everything up. That way I could tell those stories & the feelings that I witnessed with them." Like any true artist, especially one who takes his influences from the world, Prob has a wide variety of musical influences too. Ranging from Q-Tip and 3 Stacks to Curtis Mayfield and Otis Redding to John Lennon and Led Zepplin, his list of influences goes on and on.
Although he is a solo artist, Prob has a bigger vision in mind..a Hippie vision to be exact. With plans to work with certain artists in the future, Prob has already dubbed his music and video editing group Hippie Vision. Why the hippie theme? Prob is about what hippies were about: free-spirited, loving and peaceful. "I feel like it sums up everything I do. I share the same vision, therefore, it's Hippie Vision."
After hearing his interesting lyrics and flow, one has to know where these lyrics come from. Prob says, "My lyrics come from my thoughts..sometimes I like to throw a couple fun flows and lyrics just to show creativity. Other times my verses are just a long play on words. For the most part my lyrics are just my everyday thoughts expressed poetically." With that being said, he tries to send a message of all-around positivity, good vibes and faith. "I prefer to make refreshing music that gives the feeling of hope. I want people to hear my music and for that moment feel some type of happiness no matter what they're going through at that time."

Here are two videos off of Prob's first mixtape, Indigo. With the exception of some help recording, "Dont Stop Believin" and "Bubblegum" were recorded, edited, mixed and mastered by Prob himself. If you like what you hear, check out the latest from Prob on Soundcloud, subscribe to him on YouTube or download his first mixtape, Indigo. Enjoy these visuals to some of his work.

Dont Stop Believin (sample from John Lennon's Don't Stop Believing)

Bubblegum


No comments:

Post a Comment