Thursday, March 3, 2011

Album Review. Saigon: The Greatest Story Never Told




The first time I heard Sai-Giddy, was my Sophmore year of High School. I immediately fell in love with the delivery, flow and storytelling. After numerous mixtapes, Warning Shots 1 & 2, the All In A Day's Work project and guest features, I have crowned Saigon as one of my favorite rappers. All I needed from him was a debut album to seal the deal. After numerous delays and push backs "The Greatest Story Never Told," doesn't fail. I was waiting 5 years for the album to drop. When it got a release date I immediately put the album as my #1 anticipated for 2011. On February 15, 2011 I was finally able to hear what hard work and never giving up sounds like. I am currently on my 13th full listen to the album, and to any Hip-Hop head out there I highly suggest this one. You will not be disappointed.
I cannot lie, I downloaded the album before it came out, as I do with every album (although I do own well over 500 albums, so do not tell me about illegal downloading). Popping in the CD starting with track #1 I was ready.
The albums first song is:
"The Invitation." Saigon delivers right off the bat. It was very refreshing hearing this track first. Listening to the wordplay I fell in love with. The story of a young man as a baby transitioning into a drug dealer showed Sai's skills to the fullest.
Usually I don't listen to skits (... unless it happens to be a Broke Phi Broke skit). I gave the whole album a full listen, and very happy I did so. "War" was one of the best, and realest skits to date. One of the only skits i've heard where there are news resports talking about real life situations while the rich flaunt about there millions. This side of life is rarely ever heard ("The Greatest Story Never Told"). One thing I absolutely loved about the album was the transition form song to song. One ending and leading into the beginning of another. "War" led straight into "Bring Me Down Pt. II" a track that brought a whole new life and motivation to the album. How does the Saigon story end? A question to be answered later in life. Everything was perfect about this track. The rock beat, phenomenal chorus, and energy that Saigon brought made this track a perfect 10/10.
"Enemies" had to be one of the deepest tracks on the album. The story of a close friend (The Streets) that ended up leading to Saigon's incarceration. Teaching Saigon about the drug game, violence, and a place to go to when his mother would kick him out of the house. The track leads into "Friends," speaking again about the environment in which he grew up. "Instead I go in the zone and spit poems in the microphone/ fuckin with you is something to do, but I be calling Rikers home." With 15 seconds to go you can hear the build up to
"The Greatest Story Never Told." By far one of the best tracks from the album. Saigon covers a variety of topics on this album. Reality TV, lying Reverends, slavery, and most importantly, why the game needs Saigon. Saigon is on on top of the world with this one. You can hear how humble he is just to be releasing his debut album (at the age of 32). This track is a must listen to.
"Clap" had its high and low moments for me. I am very pleased to hear Saigon remaining positive. Not dealing with strip clubs, stopping violence, and doing away with the drug spots. The song makes you want to get up and make a difference by speaking out against the negativity in our world. The part that lost me in the track was at the almost 2 minute break of clapping and Faith Evans singing. Not saying I don't like Faith Evans, it's the fact the song seemed to drag out. However hearing the Reverend at the end speak about the collection plate saying "don't give less than 10%" and "get a word from our sponsor, our brother in christ and taxes" set up for a track that many religions deal with.
Money money money, was what "Preacher" was all about. Saigon speaks on the issue of a Reverend that takes money from the less fortunate. "Wife rocking the 5,000 dollar wig/ and she got a big rock on her hand, did y'all run a scam." Also commenting the fact that the Reverend's kids wearing nice clothes. I do not practice religion like I used to in my younger days, and this was one of the main reasons. But that is another topic.
"It's Alright" had a nice, smooth Luther Vandross sample. This was a well fitting song for the album which contained Marsha Ambrosius's heavenly voice singing along in the chorus. This song fits my views perfectly about life as well. The final verse is about a single mother raising her child. The line that hit home for the song was, "If he ain't smart enough to know why he should stay/ then what could he possibly teach his seed anyway."
Moving on through the album "Believe It" was a very uplifting track about Saigon's incarceration. Saigon also speaks on "The Greatest Story Never Told" push backs, and how the record company wanted to have Saigon sell out. My second favorite line from the album appeared in this track as well, "As they putting by body in that life size ziplock/ then you'll be saying, damn, did he die for this hip-hop." I am a huge fan of Hip-Hop and concious rap. I usually do not listen to the radio (unless i forget my music at home).
"What The Lovers Do" is a step up. Growing up, being an avid listener of Devin The Dude, I am accustomed to the sexual references in his songs. However on the chorus to this song he fit in perfectly. The perfect voice and lyrics for the song. This track quickly grew on me and is played a few times a day.
Closing out the album with three tracks left to go and a hidden bonus track, the album still remains strong. "Better Way" featuring Layzie Bone, finds Saigon rapping about his youth, growing up with violence and getting into trouble with women. He also speaks on putting problems behind him but these same problems keep catching up with him. I also like the acknowledgement of Just Blaze finding Sai and giving him a chance. I was a little disappointed to find the track without a verse from Layzie Bone. Although his "Harmony" was graceful for the chorus.
"Oh Yeah (Our Babies)" is a track that needs to be heard by everyone who loves hip-hop. Saigon speaks about kids involved with violence and weapons. I love the fact that Saigon calls out the "fake" rappers in the music industry today. Many artists rap about lifes they never lived and act different when they get on the mic. "These ni**** do vocal booth crimes/ i shot n***** multiple times/ you sold a few dimes/ but when you're rapping/ your the crack king." Saigon repeats the second verse as an acapella in the end of the song, enforcing the fact that real gangsters are on there way to jail, and do not make records to sell.
The bonus track "Too Long" is by far one of the best hip-hop songs i've heard in my 20 years. Listening to many albums i cannot speak enough about this track. With a nice little melody from Sai, the verse draws you in. Sai speeks about family members and friends struggling through life. One of my favorite artists of all time took control on the second verse. Black Thought, The Roots frontman stole the show on this track delivering one of the best verses i've heard in a long long time. In fact it has been "Too Long" since i've heard a verse like his.

"The Greatest Story Never Told" goes down as one of the most anticipated albums for me and many hip hop heads. The album was well worth the wait. Powerful and influential tracks are just what hip hop needs.

Top 5 song from the album:
1. Too Long
2. Oh Yeah (Our Babies)
3. Bring Me Down Pt. II
4. The Greatest Story Never Told
5. Believe It

Rating: 9.1/10

1 comment: